The Excellencies of Christ
It is fascinating to think of those first disciples coming eye to eye with the Messiah, God’s Son. Walking alongside Him, listening as He taught about God, redemption and heaven. Beginning with John the Baptist’s declaration to “Behold, the Lamb of God!”, they were made aware of the unique Man they were privileged to associate with. He invited them to follow, they abandoned their boats and He changed their lives. Invitation and abandonment – good themes for salvation truth.
Jonathan Edwards preached these great words in the early 18th century, extolling the greatness of our Savior:
“Christ is the Creator and great Possessor of heaven and earth. He is sovereign Lord of all. He rules over the whole universe, and doth whatsoever pleaseth him. His knowledge is without bound. His wisdom is perfect, and what none can circumvent. His power is infinite, and none can resist Him. His riches are immense and inexhaustible. His majesty is infinitely awful. And yet He is one of infinite condescension…. He condescends not only to the angels, humbling Himself to behold the things that are done in heaven, but He also condescends to such poor creatures as men; and that not only so as to take notice of princes and great men, but of those that are of meanest rank and degree… And yet He is infinitely gracious and merciful. Though His justice be so strict with respect to all sin, and every breach of the law, yet He has grace sufficient for every sinner, and even the chief of sinners….”
What a wonderful Savior is Jesus our Lord!
The Father’s Son
In John 5-7, Jesus gives a major discourse to express His own own thoughts about His deity and His commitment to His Father’s mission.
- Equal with God – 5:19-20
- Giver of Life – 5:21,26
- Final Judge – 5:22-23
- The Bread of Life – 6:22-35
- Resurrection Power – 7:24-30
Key Passages on Christ’s Person & Work
As New Testament Christians we have the privilege of knowing Jesus Christ as our Savior. Having accomplished the finished work of our Redemption on the Cross, He now sits at the right hand of God in heaven as our Advocate. There is a rich treasure house of truths which we need to dig into, so now is your opportunity to get to know our Savior better!
- His Preexistence
- Jn 1:1; Phil 2:6
- God has spoken to us through His Son
- Heb. 1:
- Everything we need to know about God was demonstrated in the works of Christ or revealed in His Word
- He is Creator – Col. 1-3
- 1:15-20 – By Him all things created, consist, held together
- 2:8-12 – In Him dwells all the Godhead bodily, completely God
- 3:1-4 – Victorious Savioir, sitting at the right hand of God
- His Deity
- Jn 10:30; 14:9; Matt 14:33; Col 1:15-20; Rev 19:16
- Prophecy about Him
- Isa. 49:10; Micah 5:2
- His Virgin Birth
- Isa 7:14; 9:6; Mt. 1:23,25;
- His Incarnation – Completely God, Completely ManLu. 2:52; Phil. 2:5-8; Col. 2:7-9; Jn. 4:23; 14:9-10
- He “Tabernacled” among us, pitched His tent, dwelt among us
- John 1:14
- Christ surrendered use of His deity in order to be an obedient, sacrificial servant
- Phil. 2:5-11
- He is sufficient for all matters of life & godliness
- 2 Pet. 1:3-4
- He has provided Redemption once and for all as our Great High Priest
- Heb. 9:11-12; 10:10, 12-13
- His Impeccability – He could not sin
- Heb 2:8; 4:14
- His Death & Resurrection
• Lu 22:15-20
• 1 Cor 15:3-8
- His Ascension
• Lu 24:50-53
• 1 Pet 3:22
• Rev 5:12
- His Return
• Jn 14:4-6
• 1 Thess 4:16-18
- His Reign
• Rev 19:11-16
- He is Prophet, Priest and King
- Deut 18:18; Jn 6:14; 1 Jn 2:2; Heb 2:17; Eph 1:20-23
Who is Christ to You?
Bible Study Journal
Here’s your opportunity to write down thoughts about Christ in your own words…
How long have you known Jesus Christ?
When did you place your faith in Him, how did that event transpire?
What kind of difference has He made in your life?
What are the special qualities about Him that mean the most to you?
Anything else you want to add?
Is there someone you want to share these thoughts with?